History 1880-1954 In 1880, the church was once again enlarged and remodeled.
This work, which was completed in 1881, included the addition of an elaborate Romanesque face and twin towers surmounted with delicate cupolas.
After the Jesuits left the parish, it was staffed by a priest of the Archdiocese. Further alterations had to be made in 1954, under the supervision
of the Shrine's pastor, Father Anthony Corey. At this time, for reasons of safety, the beautiful original towers were shortened and the cupolas
replaced by heavier hexagonal caps. This altered the exterior of the building considerably and detracted from its former beauty.
While now owned by the Archdiocese of St. Louis, the Shrine of St. Joseph is leased to The Friends of the Shrine of St. Joseph, Inc. - a not for
profit 503C3 corporation. All donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Read about how the main Altar became known as the “Altar of Miracles”.